Nuclear Reactor Theory 0302750
A graduate course taught to the nuclear physics students at the University of Jordan.
General course objectives
Review of relevant material in nuclear physics.
Concepts in neutron physics.
The relevant physics related to nuclear technology:
v Fission chain reaction and controlled fission.
v Neutron diffusion and moderation.
v Conversion and breeding.
v Reactor equations and criticality.
v Ficks law, Multigroup and multiregional analysis.
v Poisoning and fuel depletion.
v Delayed precursors and the full-blown diffusion equation.
v Reactor kinetics and reactivity feedback.
v Heat removal from nuclear reactors.
v Isotope separation.
Components of nuclear reactors.
Nuclear reactor fuels and fuel cycles.
Basic concepts of radiation protection and nuclear safety, shielding and waste disposal.
Issues and prospects of nuclear power today and in the future.
The above objectives are planned to be achieved mainly through lectures. Nevertheless, students projects will also contribute to the final outcome.
Introduction to Nuclear Engineering. John R. Lamarsh, 2nd (3rd) edition. Addison-Wesley.
Nuclear Reactor Physics. Weston M. Stacey. Wiley.
Fundamentals of Nuclear Reactor Physics. Elmer E. Lewis. Academic Press.
HWs, projects and quizzes
· Mondays 15:00-18:00
Homeworks are due after one week unless otherwise announced.
Remarks or questions marked in red in the presentations, without being announced as homeworks, should be also seriously considered!
Some tasks can (or should) be sent by email.
o Due date (for written version): December 20th.
o Presentation: Will be scheduled later.
Other small projects will be announced in class and are due two weeks after announcement.
Sep. 20th: Read Lamarsh Chs. 1, 2 and 3, and Krane Ch. 13.
Lecture Notes and Exams
Individual lecture notes will be available online after the lecture has been given.
1- Level test.
2- Lecture 1.
3- Lecture 2.
4- Lecture 3.
5- Lecture 4.
6- Lecture 5.
7- Lecture 6.
8- Lecture 7.
9- Lecture 8.
10- Lecture 9.
11- Lecture 10.
12- Midterm Exam.
13- Lecture 11.
15- Lecture 13.
Second Semester, 2008/2009.
1. Lecture 08-02-09. General introduction.
2. Level Test.
3. Lecture 10-02-09. Introduction and review 1 PDF [695 kB]. Nuclear reaction energetics.
4. Lecture 15-02-09. Introduction and review 2 PDF [3111 kB].
5. Lecture 22-02-09 PDF [1340 kB].
6. Lecture 01-03-09 PDF [734 kB].
7. Lecture 03-03-09 PDF [1043 kB].
8. 08-03-09 Review Exam.
9. Lecture 15-03-09 PDF [1122 kB].
10. Lecture 22-03-09 PDF [633 kB].
11. Lecture 05-04-09 PDF [333 kB].
12. Lecture 11-04-09 PDF [166 kB].
13. Lecture 18-04-09 PDF [396 kB].
14. Lecture 21-04-09 PDF [140 kB].
15. Lecture 26-04-09 PDF [514 kB].
16. Lecture 03-05-09 PDF [211 kB].
17. Lecture 10-05-09 PDF [599 kB].
18. Lecture 17-05-09 PDF [675 kB].
The merged file that contains all lectures can be downloaded here [8 MB].